Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Next time they should get my good side...

So today there was another little girl hit by a car on her way to school. This is the second child in a matter of 3 weeks that has been hit by a car. Now, my kids rarely walk to school in the morning without me. We will ride our bikes together sometimes or they ride with my neighbor friend. But I have realized that not all kids are this lucky. After the first little boy was hit, there was an uproar of concerned parents and a news reporter came out and talked with a couple of moms.

And I thought, well, my kids don't walk and so it's not my fight. Then I was reminded that more often than not, kids voices are not heard. I feel that it is my responsibility as a citizen of the world (or at least my little world) to make sure that our children's voices can be heard.

Today, I got the pleasure of being interviewed by the news. We as parents are fighting the city to get a crossing guard. We are not naive to think that this will solve our problems. We are just hoping to add another weapon in our arsenal of care for these children - who will one day have to take care of me when I am old and decrepit.

Back to the interview. Really the camera totally adds 10 pounds - no kidding. Stop laughing - it is not a joke. And it was freaking cold outside. I had to cross my arms and huddle because the wind was blowing - which isn't the most attractive - either way - And it really didn't help that the camera guy wanted to see up my nostrils. And he was totally on the wrong side. At least I will tell myself I would've looked way better from the other side.

Or just not let there be a next time!!!
But if you're just dying to check it out,
Click here

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Whoa! You're famous.

Cindy MacQueen said...

Oh My Goodness!!! You were on TV!!! You looked great dahling!! I just want to say that my favorite quote you gave was "it is a big deal and it will happen again!" You were so commanding and assertive! You go girl ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Broker, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-broker-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Buffy said...

Wow...I can't believe my own sister was on TV ...that's so cool and sticking up for the little children! SWEET! Cindy's right, you did look great! By the way...who is home broker? Crazy brazilians! :)