Wednesday, April 2, 2008

what did I get myself into?????

I went to my first PTA training meeting today. If I haven't shared the news, I am the president elect of the Ellison Park Elementary school. I will be the president during the 2008-09 school year. I think I got tricked into it...just kidding. But it will be Robyn & Spencer's last year in elementary school and I certainly don't want to do it in jr high or high school.
The one thing I learned today was that I have no idea what I am doing. I am an owner's manual kind of girl - I read it for my car, I read it for my tv, my phone, even my new bathroom faucet. It gives me a sense of power when I know that it is time for maintenance or why it makes that pinging noise. Having said that, I don't have an owners manual for PTA yet. I am sure there is one - I just don't have it. So, I have a feeling of wonder, of panic, of being lost. I'm sure it will be better once I read the manual (I hope).
And the craziest thing is everyone keeps telling me how excited they are for me to be president. I think they are just glad they aren't doing it. I know my friend Jen Ericksen is - chicken.

8 comments:

Adrian said...

You are a brave woman!!!

The MacQueens said...

Better you than me!!heeheehee. Don't worry, you are going to be fabulous!!

Buffy said...

wow...you are either very brave or incredibly stupid! :) I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now and say brave. :) :) Either way you will be FABULOUS! Good luck with that owner's manuel thing, though.

Sally Sirmans said...

I thought I was the only one who reads the manual. Perhaps there's a "PTA for Dummies" handbook:)

Anne Dixon said...

I am not sure what i would rather do: be the PTA president or the RS president in my ward... Well, not that i had a choice in that matter. I think PTA president might be harder in ways - although easier in some others. Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

Having gone down that road once myself, you will soon find out why no one in their right mind does it twice. My advice is have a blast at PTA Convention, it will be the most fun you'll have all year.

Candice said...

Wowzers you're brave. You'll do an awesome job, Betsy!

Jennie said...

Betsy,

I saw your link on Jen's site. I am so excited for you. You will be an awesome president. You have such great insights and confidence. You will be wonderful. Good luck!