Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Costumes, candy, & candidates. Oh My!

I have notices that I am a little behind in the halloween postings. We had a long, busy all hallow's eve. But, boy, were our bags full of loot.

I can't believe it is November.
As I was voting today, no lines, just in and out, I was thinking that this was one of the very first times I did not take my kids with me to the polling location. They have come with me to vote in every election until recently. They have a strong grasp on the importance of voting. This year, they had the opportunity to vote in a mock election in school. It was interesting to hear the reasons why they chose to vote for their particular candidate. "He will be the first black president!" "He will raise our taxes" (like they pay taxes yet, but sweet to think of the rest of us). "I can't remember". It made me stop and think. What an amazing country we live in. Even though our systems are a little screwy sometimes, it is an incredible place to live. And how sad it is that it was such a hard decision to vote this year because I didn't love either candidate - it was a lesser of the two evils for me. I also realized how little research I had done on the judges to vote on. I know, most people don't. But there were so many to vote on and I was only familiar with one - Judge Lyons. He will always have my vote for what he has done for our family. But the others, I didn't even know there names. I was an uneducated voter, I guess.
I always leave the polling place and wonder, did I make the right decision. Sort of like buyer's remorse, I think. Then I just take a deep breath and know it's too late to change my mind now, so, I go home and pray that whoever wins will remember how they got there, who they are serving and working for, and that by the end of their term, they will make my family better off than when we started.

3 comments:

Candice said...

I felt exactly the same way-not feeling prepared about voting for those judges.

Buffy said...

Totally agree about the praying that whomever is elected will make wise decisions. It's such an intersting time.

Unknown said...

That's exactly how I felt four years ago - like I was choosing the lesser of two evils. Not so this year, but I totally agree that, in order for these elected officials to do a good job, they will need to remember how they got their job in the first place and who they're supposed to be working for.

Hope all is well in your corner of the world, and hugs from ours!

-Jenni